Saturday, February 18, 2012

Meet New Member Laurie Weiss

I'm Laurie Weiss. I am a book artist. I started doing calligraphy while I
was working at Intel, to relax after ridiculous days. Then I took a book
binding class from Sandy Tilcock at Calligraphy NW back in the early '90s
and have been hooked on books ever since. I like the tactile sense of
working with the paper, cloth, leather. I still do some brush calligraphy,
but I haven't been practicing so most fonts are too rusty these days.

Most recently I've been collaborating with Paulann Petersen, Oregon Poet
Laureate, and Barbara Mason, a local print maker, on a book called Dark
River of Stars. It's a collection of Valentine's Day poems Paulann sent to
friends over the years. We just had the launch party last weekend at 23
Sandy Gallery, where the book is on exhibit through March 10th.

I live in the hills south of Forest Grove and Cornelius, on six acres with 
two dogs, a small vineyard, and my studio. You can see my work at mywebsite www.blackdogbookarts.com.

I'm currently a PAC member but am looking forward to additional inspiration
from joining this group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment